Allen Lutheran School of Nursing | Print |  E-mail

In 1925, the Allen School of Nursing admitted 10 students as the first class. Students being admitted to the program had to be “of good moral character” with a letter of recommendation from their minister. Students had to live on campus, be single, and had to obey curfew.

Students didn’t start out with uniforms, they were instructed to bring six to nine yards of chambray and given instructions on how to sew the garment. The dress was long-sleeved and had to be seven to nine inches from the floor. A stiff white apron went over the dress. Originally they were required to wear black stockings with black shoes.

During the eleven years the original school was opened, 59 students graduated. During the depression years of the 1930’s the school was closed. The School of Nursing reopened in 1942 in a response to a call from the Red Cross. Students were admitted twice a year during the war.

Major changes had occurred over the past four decades. In the 1940’s, no nursing program would accept males. In the 1950’s when a nurse graduated, she could expect to be paid $2400.00 a year. Until the 1960’s, nursing students could not be married.

 

 

 

 

 
SEO Iowa